AMMONIA REAGENT STARTER KIT
Ammonia accours as a breakdown product of nitrogenous material in natural waters. It is also found in domestic effluents and certain industrial waste waters. Ammonia is harmful to fish and other forms of aquatic life and the ammonia level must be carefully controlled in water used for fish farms and aquariums. Ammonia tests are routinely applied for pollution control on effluents and waste waters, and for the monitoring of drinking water supplies.
The YSI Ammonia Test provides a simple method of measuring ammonia (ammonical nitrogen) over the range 0 - 1.0 mg/l N.
- Can be use for 50 test of Ammonia
- Can be use for YSI Photometer either 9300 and 9500
1. Fill test tube with sample to the 10 ml mark.
2. Add 1 Ammonia No 1 tablet and 1 Ammonia No 2 tablet, crush and mix to dissolve.
3. Stand for 10 minutes to allow color development.
4. Select "PHOT 4" on Photometer to measure Ammonia (mg/l - N) or select "PHOT 62" on Photometer to measure Ammonium (mg/l - NH4).
5. Perform the scan with the Photometer according to the instructions.
The YSI Ammonia test is based on an indophenol method. Ammonia reacts with alkaline salicylate in the presence of chlorine to form a green-blue indophenol complex. Catalysts are incorporated to ensure complete and rapid color development. The reagents are provided in the form of 2 tablets for maximum convenience. The test is simply carried out by adding 1 of each tablet to a sample of the water.
The intensity of the color produced in the test is propotional to the ammonia concentration and is measured using a YSI Photometer.
Sea Water Samples
YSI Ammonia Conditioning Reagent is required when testing sea water or brackish water samples to prevent precipitation of salts. The reagent is supplied in a special 'spoon pack' to aid measuring out the powder.
Fill the test tube with sample to the 10 ml mark, and add 1 level spoonful of conditioning reagent. Mix to dissolve reagent then continue the test as described in the above test instructions. If turbidity still forms in the test, repeat using 2 level spoonfuls of conditioning reagent.
No expiration time