PHOSPHATE LR REAGENT STARTER KIT
Phosphates are extensively used in detergent formulations and washing powders. Phosphates also find widespread application in the food processing industry and in industrial water treatment processes. Agricultural fertilizers normally contain phosphate minerals and phosphates also arise from the breakdown of plant materials and in animal wastes.
Phosphates can therefore enter water courses through a variety of routes - particularly domestic and industrial effluents and run-off from agricultural land. Phosphate is an important control test for natural and drinking waters.
Whilst phosphates are not generally considered harmful for human consumption, they do exhibit a complex effect on the natural environment. In particular phosphates are associated with eutrophication of water and with rapid unwanted plant growth in rivers and lakes. Phosphates present in natural water pass through into drinking water supplies.
The YSI Phosphate LR test provides a simple method of measuring phosphate levels over the range 0 - 4 mg/l (PO4). For drinking water the EEC has set a guide level of 0.5 mg/l PO4 (0.4 mg/l P2O5) and a maximum admissible concentration of 6.7 mg/l PO4 (5 mg/l P2O5).
- Can be use 50 times of Phosphate testing of the waters
- Can be use for YSI Photometer either 9300 and 9500
1. Fill test tube with sample to the 10 ml mark.
2. Add 1 Phosphate No 1 LR tablet, crush and mix to dissolve.
3. Add 1 Phosphate No 2 LR tablet, crush and mix to dissolve.
4. Stand for 10 minutes to allow full color development.
5. Select "PHOT 28" on Photometer for result as mg/l PO4, or "PHOT 70" for result as mg/l P.
6. Perform the scan with the Photometer according to the instructions.
In the YSI Photometer LR method, the phosphate reacts under acid conditions with ammonium molybdate to form phospho-molybdic acid to form the intensely colored 'molybdenum blue' complex. A catalyst is incorporated to ensure complete and rapid color development, and an inhibitor is used to prevent interference from silica. The reagents are provided in the form of 2 tablets for maximum convenience. The test is simply carried out by adding 1 of each tablet to a sample of the water.
10 years after the manufacturing date